2017-2018 Concert Series
Ensemble VIII has announced its 2017-2018 season, with five concerts planned for Austin audiences. Season tickets are now on sale. This season’s concerts will be performed at two Austin venues: St. Louis Catholic Church Chapel and Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church. All concerts begin at 7:30 p.m.
Ticket Prices: Season ticket prices range from $150 for regular seating for the five-concert series to $200 for priority seating. Tickets for individual concerts are $45 for priority seating, $35 for regular seating and $10 for students (with ID).
Season Ticket Sales
- Thursday Night Concert Series – Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church – Purchase Season Tickets
- Friday Night Concert Series – St. Louis Catholic Church Chapel – Purchase Season Tickets
Please pick up your season tickets at the Will Call desk the night of your first concert.
Ensemble VIII’s 2017-2018 Season Includes:
Celestial Fire – Masterworks of the Renaissance
- Thursday, October 19, 2017 – Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
- Friday, October 20, 2017 – St. Louis Catholic Church Chapel – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
Ensemble VIII’s seventh season begins with a cappella music of brilliance and warmth. The Medieval Pentecost hymn Veni Creator Spiritus inspires this program of radiant works by Lassus, Bryd, Sweelinck, Josquin, and others.
Vivaldi Gloria – Christmas with Ensemble VIII
- Thursday, December 14, 2017 – Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
- Friday, December 15, 2017 – St. Louis Catholic Church Chapel – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
Join Ensemble VIII in celebrating the joy of Christmastime with one of the most well-known and beloved Baroque works, Vivaldi’s infectious Gloria. With voices and chamber orchestra, this concert will include other sparkling works of the Baroque that will thrill and inspire.
Arvo Pärt Passio – Ancient Echoes, Modern Mystic
- Thursday, January 25, 2018 – Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
- Friday, January 26, 2018 – St. Louis Catholic Church Chapel – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
Arvo Pärt is arguably the most influential and compelling composer of the late 20th century. Passio, Pärt’s setting of the story of Christ’s Passion, is one of his greatest and most powerful works. The Estonian composer’s style is hauntingly reminiscent of Medieval chant, but strikingly fresh in sound. The transparent texture intertwines voices with oboe, bassoon, violin, cello, and organ. Passio is a deeply moving work that will transport listeners to another world of sublime transcendence.
Three French Messieurs – Music of France
Original members of Ensemble VIII Ryland Angel, Donald Meineke, and James Morrow join forces again in this very special, intimate concert of music for three voices. Following last year’s concert Three English Gentlemen, this program features gorgeous music from France, both sacred and secular, suave and sensuous, serious and light. The concert will feature captivating music from the Baroque by Charpentier and Rameau, as well as exquisite Renaissance chansons by Sermisy and others. And there will surely be a few surprises you won’t want to miss!
Cathedrals of Mexico – Grand Polyphony of Puebla and Mexico City
- Thursday, April 26, 2018 – Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
- Friday, April 27, 2018 – St. Louis Catholic Church Chapel – Purchase Tickets for this Concert
The exquisite Cathedrals of Puebla and of Mexico City boasted sacred music that rivalled that of Europe. Some of the earliest composers were of Spanish or Portuguese birth, but flourished in Mexico. Native composers took up the mantle and wrote works of the highest craft and inspiration. Featured in this concert are some of the finest sacred works composed in Mexico by composers including Juan Gutiérrez de Padilla, Gaspar Fernández, and Hernando Franco.